1. Is home education legal?

At this time it is legal. We do highly recommend that you enroll with HSLDA for legal protection and also support Roy Hansen of Child and Family Protection Association who lobbies for homeschool families in Sacramento.

2. Can I really teach my child if I do not have a teaching credential or degree?

Yes, a Private School teacher is not required to meet State Regulations for teacher qualifications.  A credential or degree is not required.

3. Where do I find curriculum and materials?

books and school supplies

There is no problem finding Godly curriculum online, by word of mouth, or in resource catalogues.  The hard part is finding the right curriculum for your student’s learning style.   ACAEC Coordinators have many resources and can provide much input on this subject.  Talking to other homeschool moms is a great way to find out what worked for them.  Some of the more popular curriculum resources are Abeka, Bob Jones, Switched on Schoolhouse, and Apologia.

4. How much time does it take?

You can accomplish schooling elementary level students in two hours a day, four hours for Jr High and four to five hours for High School students.  Once you start homeschooling, living is schooling.  Take your child into the kitchen and teach fractions and science, turn on the news and teach Current Events.  How many of us have had bug and rock collections in every bedroom and science projects growing in the refrigerator?

5. How do I instruct several children in different grade levels?

You can purchase curriculum for each grade level. The curriculum is self directed with parental guidance. You can teach as many classes as possible with the whole family covering the same subject on each student’s level.  An example might be to teach Physical Science Oceanography on a high school level and have the high school students cover what is in the curriculum along with extra research.  Your Jr High students would cover the same subject but with less work and no extra research.  Younger children might color pictures of sea creatures and children a little older, that are capable, might label those creatures and their parts.  Have the older students assist with the younger students in their studies and give your high school students credit for it.  Time scheduling will be very important.

6. What about my child’s special needs?

We have many families with special needs in ACAEC.  Through shared information in our program we have many resources available to those families. We also promote registering with HSLDA and using their resources.   Some other organizations that have helped our families are NCLD.org and Nathhan.  Individualized Education Plan (IEP)  information is available upon request.

7. What about “socialization”, special interests, and enrichment activities?

There are so many outside electives that your student can get involved in either with your area program or contacts through your area program.  The bigger question should be, “What about staying home?”   Many of the areas have tutorial programs available; some have sports or they know of programs outside ACAEC.  These programs are available for a fee.  Remember, we are a Private School and if you add any extra classes outside of your home you are responsible for the fees.

8. What about the high school years?

About ½ of ACAEC enrollment are high school level students.  We have constant email updates keeping families informed. The High School Director is available by phone or email.

9. Can I work while in high school?

Yes, we have work permits available through the office and credit is given to High School students. Contact the office if you live outside of CA.

10. How do I earn a diploma and enjoy a graduation ceremony?

Your student must meet ACAEC graduation requirements which are higher than State Requirements and prepare your student for entrance to college.  We have graduation ceremonies in Sacramento, South Sacramento and Redding at this time.

11. Do colleges accept ACAEC diplomas?

All Jr. Colleges accept ACAEC diplomas.  Universities require a qualifying SAT or ACT score along with a transcript.  We are not an accredited school due to the fact that we allow each family to choose the curriculum that they feel fits them best.  To qualify for a Cal Grant and some scholarships you must have a qualifying SAT or ACT score also.  ACAEC has had students accepted at many colleges and Universities.  Some examples are: Simpson University, Chico State, Sac State, UC Berkley, UC Davis, Cal Poly, The Masters College, Biola, Arizona State Honors College, University of Idaho Honors Program, Pensacola, William Jessup, Patrick Henry College, the Naval Academy, the Air Force Academy and many more.  We feel that if God wants your student in college they will be there!

12. What about scholarships?

College scholarships may be awarded on merit or need based.  Many scholarships are qualified through written essay.  Several of our 12th grade students qualify every year for one or more scholarships.  Again, an SAT or ACT test should be taken in the spring of the 11th grade and the fall of the 12th grade to make sure they qualify for these scholarships.  ACAEC awards the position of Valedictorian and Salutatorian to students in each county that achieve a score of 1500 or above. (Minimum score of 500 in each category.)  Many colleges and universities will give students that hold these positions additional scholarships, some $1000 to $10,000.  Always prepare your student!  You never know where God is going to send them!

13. Does my student have to test to pass each grade? What tests are available?

Testing is not mandatory but we offer it for 3rd - 8th grades. Testing is only required for your 8th grade student if you want to receive a diploma from ACAEC.  For 9th – 11th grade students we offer, at a fee, the PSAT.  This is not a mandatory testing and is offered once a year in October.  This is a very important test for 11th grade students because if they qualify in the 98th percentile they will receive the National Merit Scholarship Award.  This prestigious award will open doors to many colleges with free or little tuition.

14. What if a graduate wants to enlist in the military?

        ACA has had many students accepted into the military. Please see our Military                     page for more information.   

15. Can I be covered if I live a distance away from a coordinator or out of state?

We cover families throughout California and can continue to cover ACA families who move out of state, but we do not cover new out of state families. For more information, please contact the home office.

Still have some questions we haven't answered for you?